Solo Instrument & chamber music
Rules & Conditions
Application to the VIAF festival is open to young musicians of all nations below the age of 28. A maximum of 10% of the participants may be between 28 and 35 years of age.
The competition consists of the following program:
- The opening ceremony
- 1 performance before the jury
- If chosen by the jury: Concert in the evening Charity Gala Award Concert
FOR STATE SCHOOLS / PROFESSIONAL AND AMATEURS/PRIVATE SCHOOLS
- Strings (Violin – Viola – Cello – Double Bass)
- Woodwinds ; Brass (Flute – Oboe – Clarinet – Bassoon Trumpet – French Horn – Trombone – Saxophone)
- Chamber Music (Duos; Trios; Quartets ; up to ten)
Age category and time limits
A up to the age of 8 5-7 minutes
B 9-12 years 7-10 minutes
C 13-15 years 8-12 minutes
D 16-18 years 12-15 minutes
E 19-27 years 15-20 Mins
- The repertoire presented must be within the grasp of the player, with respect to both the technical and the musical aspects of the piece.
- We recommend choosing from the rich repertoire of the baroque, early classical, classical, romantic, and contemporary periods.
- In each performance, there must be 2 original pieces, or 1 original piece and 1 arrangement. The two pieces must be from different musical periods e.g. one baroque piece and one contemporary; or one classical and one romantic.
- In the “chamber music“ category, reading is allowed, although the pieces also have to be selected from different musical periods, as described above.
- The specified time limits must be adhered to in the competition.
A jury of international music experts will evaluate the performances.
Number of points: 100
Certificate of Successful Participation in the VIAF 1 – 40 Points
Bronze Medal = 40.01 – 60 Points
Silver Medal = 60.01 – 80 Points
Gold Medal = 80.01 – 100 Points
The jury may award special prizes for outstanding performances and unique presentations
PERFORMANCE FOR NON-COMPETING MUSICIANS
- 1-2 pieces of solo and chamber music of your choice choice
- Perform before a panel of qualified international jurors who provide immediate positive artistic and pedagogical feedback
- Performance time: Max. 15 minutes
Solo: – 90 Euro
Duos: – 90 Euro/performer
Trios or larger ensembles: – 45 Euro/performer
This amount is due on registration and is non-refundable.