Application to the VIAF festival is open to young musicians of all nations below the age of 28. A maximum of 10% of the participants of the orchestra may be between 28 and 35 years old. Conductors are NOT subject to the age limit.
All non-professional orchestras are welcome to compete in this event. With the exception of the conductors, all orchestra members must be amateurs, e.g. they are not allowed to earn their living from professional performances.
The competition consists of the following program:
- Opening ceremony
- 1 performance in front of the jury
- If chosen by the jury: Concert in the evening Gala Winners’ Concert
- 2 workshops each 45 minutes: Program rehearsal with an internationally acclaimed orchestra expert for stimulating artistic and interpretive guidance. For an effective rehearsal, orchestras are asked to prepare one piece in advance.
- Children’s Orchestra: 8-12 years
- Teenager’s Orchestra: 13-17 years
- Youth’s/Adult’s Orchestra: 18+ years
CATEGORIES & PROGRAMS
All registered ensembles will participate in one of the following categories.
CATEGORY A: SYMPHONIC BANDS, FANFARES, BRASS BANDS
For the program, the following conditions must be considered:
- A piece composed by a foreign composer (different nationality than one’s own)
- A piece composed after 1970 by a composer from your country of origin（a résumé of the composer’s piece must be submitted as proof）
The pieces must be performed in their original form (no arrangements). The widest possible stylistic diversity is welcomed. Pieces for solo-instruments with an orchestral accompaniment are not allowed.
Duration: 18 – 20 minutes, minimum of two pieces.
CATEGORY B: CHAMBER ORCHESTRAS, STRING ORCHESTRAS AND SYMPHONY ORCHESTRAS
Following program conditions must be considered:
- A piece composed by a foreign composer
- A piece composed for the size of the ensemble
- Stylistic diversity
- Periodic diversity with at least one piece dated after 1970
- If possible: A piece composed by a composer from your country of origin（a résumé of the composer must be submitted as proof）
Pieces for solo-instruments with an orchestral accompaniment are not allowed.
Duration: 18 – 20 minutes, minimum of two pieces.
Jury: A jury of international music experts will evaluate the Champions Competition.
Number of points: 100
Certificate of Successful Participation in the VIAF = 1 – 40 Points
Bronze Medal = 40.01 – 60 Points
Silver Medal = 60.01 – 80 Points
Gold Medal = 80.01 – 100 Points
Special Prizes: The jury may award special prizes for outstanding performances and unique presentations.
PERFORMANCE for non-competing orchestras
- Possibility of single performances or entire programs
- No age limit
- Different genres of music and performing
Performing time maximum 45 minutes
Please send mp3, WAV, WMA with at least one (1) piece not older than two years. Please write the titles and composers of the pieces as well as the date of recording.
SHORT BIOGRAPHY OF YOUR ORCHESTRA
Please send the biography in English as an editable text document (e.g. Word).
PHOTO OF YOUR ORCHESTRA
Please make sure that it is suitable for reproduction (landscape format, .jpg or .bmp file – no PDF, min. 300 DPI, min. 12 x 7.5 cm). The picture should not be older than two years.
- Submit PDF-Scores until official application deadline 30th May 2019. Five (5) copies for the jury are requested.
- If scores with titles and names of composers are not written in the roman alphabet, please write them clearly in latin letters.
- Please note that published orchestra compositions may only be played using original scores or authorised copies. The use of unauthorized copies or handwritten copies is not allowed.
- If your scores are published as a score book, we prefer you submit authorized copies.
NOTE: There is no need to submit music scores for performances.
RENTAL INFORMATION: Instruments and music stands
Four kettledrums and one piano are at your disposal if you make a request on your application form. All ensembles have to bring along all other instruments and musical stands. The festival can provide a limited number of large instruments, if requested before March 30th 2019. The costs have to be covered by the players.
Ensembles who wish to use the standard percussion-instrumentation have to reckon with a rental price of 350 to 550 Euros. The rental cost for special requests, different from this standard percussion-instrumentation, will be considered individually. A list of all available percussion instruments can be requested at our festival office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The festival organization is entitled to review the necessity and attainability of all demands for instruments.
The organizer reserves the right to make changes and amendments to the existing information material and/or the announcement in the event of unforeseen technical, organizational or artistic circumstances. The organizer also reserves the right to make changes to the program contents and schedule.